When I was in college, I frequently went out to eat by myself. It got to the point where I was having planned once a week dinners by myself at Olive Garden, ordering the works. No one was there to watch me devour an appetizer, a meal AND a dessert. It was lovely. The best part however, was the simple relaxing. I wasn't trying to entertain anyone or gracefully talk whilst avoiding talking with food in my mouth. Sometimes I brought a book and sometimes I just sat and pondered. And this is a habit that I have carried through in my jaunts all over the world. I go out, grab a bite to eat or go to a movie solo and just enjoy my time. I don't get lonely, because I think I am pretty dang entertaining.
Due to social media, communications and all jazz so prevalent in today's society, people are accustomed to constantly having someone to talk to. But it is important to be comfortable by yourself and with yourself. Because if you don't want to hang out with yourself, why would anyone else want to?
I have already written about having your own hobbies and interests but hobbies can include other people. What I am talking about is simply solo time, where you relax and unwind. It can be as simple as taking a bubble bath or a whole night entertainment to stay in, paint your nails etc. Your activities don't matter so much as the process. If you cannot entertain your own self, who is predispositioned to like you, you certainly aren't going to be able to entertain someone else. A healthy self image is so important, because in normal stable relationships you can't lose sight of yourself.
Maybe you have a wicked sense of humor or a love of hiking, but you should take something you like to do and integrate your loved one into that habit. However, if they are busy one day, the doesn't mean ditch it altogether. Strap on those hiking boots and go for a walk. Swing by the comedy club and have a laugh. If you can't entertain yourself, you will not be able to entertain anyone else. And if you don't like you, no one else will either. (Well, not any normal, decent guy that you would want) You need to bring something to the table, that makes people want to be with you. Being desperate, clingy and unable to hang out alone is not that thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment