Thursday, August 16, 2012

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Dealbreakers

    I tell people sometimes about my ex boyfriend who used to order chicken Caesar salad every time we went out to eat and how much it bothered me. I even go so far as to say that it has a direct correlation to our breakup. People think its hilarious or that I am exaggerating. But no, something about it really irked me that he ordered it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Granted that is not a reason to not be with someone forever but small annoyances really add up. I used to be friends with the same ex-boyfriends ex-girlfriend (if you can follow that) and naturally we talked about him. She told me that she had broken up with him because he was shorter than her. However, it wasn't the obvious reason, but because she thought if she really loved him, it wouldn't have bothered her. Ordering chicken Caesar salad wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it bothered me because it was a metaphor for his inability to try new things in love and THAT drove me crazy.
    Everyone has their dealbreakers. It could be something that prevents you from sleeping with someone, dating them or something that leads to the breakup down the road. I am the queen of ridiculous dealbreakers and impossibly high standards, so this post isn't about rising above that. However I think it is important to know exactly what your dealbreakers are. It causes more harm to try to enter into a relationship with someone knowing something about them is not to your tastes. It is impossible to try to change someone and you shouldn't want someone who was being fake anyway. So if your potential mate has an annoying quirk, it will become downright intolerable during any argument. Trust me.
    Know your type and know what you are looking for. It isn't fair to someone to string them alone if you can't stand how they lisp or nervously rub their ear. (Not that those things bother me. Okay, yes, yes they do!) Just be realistic. You probably aren't perfect so don't expect your future partner to be. Unless of course, your future partner is me!

No comments:

Post a Comment