Thursday, November 13, 2014

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Boobies

        I have a love hate relationship with my lady lumps. They are pretty freaking large and while that sounds amazing, it's not. But some days, when I'm rocking some great cleavage or cashing in great tips in my pirate costume I love 'em. But love or hate my tatas I've always taken them for granted. (Alright I've asked my parents about 10000 times for a reduction, but I've always known they'd say no)
        Within this past year, my favorite aunt was a diagnosed with breast cancer. Don't worry she is kicking its' butt, but she had asked me to write a blog post highlighting the importance of regular screenings. I assured her I would and then? I NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT. Though I love my aunt and I know to wear pink during October and know tons of people who have been affected either directly or through a relative, it didn't seem like something that was hugely important in my life. I'm young and healthy and ignorant in the way that most young, healthy people are. But when are we going to wake up?
       Yes many of us donate that dollar at check out or wear that ribbon and feel pretty good about ourselves. But when was the last time you went in for a mammogram? I know I never have.
      And it's not just breast cancer. There are so many other horrors and ailments out there and people can't take the time to care about it. Take a selfie? Sure. Taking care of your self? Totally different story. I read this horrifying article today that said within the next five years on average 1 out of 2 people will have or will have had an STD. ONE OUT OF FREAKING TWO PEOPLE. That's 50%. That's either you or one of the next people you sleep with (and then you). I remember a few year ago everyone was all up in arms about the HPV shot and preventing cervical cancer and hyping it as people hype all trendy cause (HASHTAG I REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS SUPER IMPORTANT THING SO MUCH THAT I HAVE TO POST ABOUT IT SO YOU CAN ALL SEE HOW MUCH I CARE!!!) . But then that stupid shot became a big controversy and does it help? became the focus. But wait a minute. WHAT ABOUT HPV?
     That shit didn't just disappear. We just stopped hearing about it. And when we stopped hearing about it, we forgot about the importance of PAPs and other screenings. People stopped taking as many precautions because it would never happen to them. But guess what? That's what everyone thinks.
      Yes it's important to take care of your career and your relationship and your car and your kids. But most important of all is taking care of YOURSELF. Stop putting off that check up or saying you are going to get around to it. Because it could just be that by the time you get around to it, it's going to be too late. Stop making excuses. Yes a mammogram sucks. But chemo sucks much worse. So toughen up gals and give your ladies a squeeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment