I looked like shit today. I will be the first to own it. First of all my work uniform is heinous. Nothing about a polo is even remotely flattering. And because work shirts tend to be one size fits NO ONE I have to get a size that is tight around my bust and loose everywhere else. Most days I can improve on this with hair and make up but today was not one of those days. I had no make up on my face and my unwashed hair was so greasy that I couldn't even keep it up because it kept sliding out of its elastic. So needless to say, I wasn't beating the men off with a stick.
When I walked past a group of four guests, three women and one man, I gave a cordial "good morning" and a smile. Only the gentleman even acknowledged that I spoke. I don't mean he was the only one who replied or smiled back, but genuinely the only one who even registered that I was a human being on this earth as opposed to the ladies who could not even deign to lower themselves to look at me. As previously established I wasn't particularly foxy today so it's not even like he was hitting on me. He was just being polite. Why on earth would these women I've never met before and thus never could hav possibly offended, not do the same?
Women are mean. Women are bitches. It really is true. I'd like to be all "rah, rah, girl power, solidarity sisters!" But the honest truth is, there is no solidarity. Women (yes I'm generalizing) tend to view other women as opponents, rivals, something to be looked down upon. I commented on this in one of my earliest blogs and said that the concept of "frenemies" is something that only women have. And it's true.
Women judge and build up preconceived notions of who other women are. I had a friend tell me recently that she didn't like me when we first met. She didn't speak to me for three weeks when I first started working with her, how can you dislike someone you have never spoken to? One of my lifelong friends told me that when we were 11 she thought I was a snob bc I looked at the sky when I walked and my hair bounced. My hair has a mind of it's own. It bounces. That doesn't make me a snob. Granted she is one of my closest and oldest friends now but this friendship may have never happened, simply because my hair bounces.
I had really hoped that as I got older these petty problems that plagued me in my teens and early twenties as far as friendships with women would disappear but I realize now that it's not a maturity issue but a society issue. As long as women look at each other as rivals or such, there doesn't leave much room for healthy friendships and relationships. Now obviously I have some female friends that mean the world to me, so I know it's not every single lady on this earth. But as a whole, girls, you suck...
No comments:
Post a Comment