Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Cady Heron and Regina George

     I always thought I was a mean girl. I will be the first to admit, I like gossip. Not necessarily negative gossip. I just like to know things. To be in the know as kids say these days. (Okay I'm sure no kids say that these days, but they used to!) And as we have previously discussed, I kinda have a serious case of "I think I am better than most people". (Just ask my poor roommate, she has to deal with it) I like to be a good person. I volunteer, I donate to charity, I even bring soup to my sick neighbors occasionally. (Okay on ONE occasion, but it still counts!) I just love me a snarky comment every now and again. But recently I've come to realize the difference in being a good person and a mean girl.
        I would like to think that most of you have seen Mean Girls. If not, put down your laptop and go rent it. Then continue on with this post. I had my own Cady Heron moment. That part at the end when she realizes picking on Miss Caroline Kraft's snuggle tooth won't help her win? That was me today.
        A few weeks ago I was the Cady Heron at the beginning of the movie. Recently I have found more in common with the plastic version. I had been screwed over by someone and used their callousness as a justification to then screw with them. The only problem with this is, it doesn't actually feel good to treat people poorly. A "friend" of mine is the type of person who needs to put others down to feel better about herself. And unfortunately no one is safe from the blast. When you are screwed over by someone you trust (a la Janis Ian) it is natural to want revenge. What no one tells you is that revenge doesn't magically make your hurt feelings go away. Being mean to my friend didn't make me feel good. It made me feel worse. I had sunk to her level.
      At the end of the day you cannot control someone else's behavior or feelings. You CAN control yours. Don't you want to be the type of person who people come to because they care about them, not for underhanded reasons? Don't you want to be the friend who builds people up, rather than tears them down? So go forth and break up your little plastic tiara and spread the pieces to the world. Remember to do good and be nice. After all, Cady got Aaron Samuels in the end.

1 comment:

  1. even though aaron samuels is gay in real life ;-D

    ReplyDelete