Everyone has heard about beer goggles. You get drunk and suddenly the schlub in the corner seems so much more witty and attractive. On cruise ships, there is a lack of single, straight men over the height over 5'3''. Thus the phrase of "ship goggles". (Read about my recent relationships and you'll have an "aha" moment!) On ships you consider men you wouldn't even think twice about looking at normally. Even if the guy is a dreamboat physically, there's a high chance he is a tool. But you shrug and accept it, because that's the best you can get on the ship. Basically you settle.
The concept of settling isn't something exclusive to ships. Look at gold diggers. Anna Nicole settled for that old guy, not because she couldn't do better, but because he had something other than looks to offer. Which was oodles and oodles of money. However, even a handsome, successful doctor can be considered settling if he doesn't treat you well.
Everyone has a type or standards. But every now and then it is okay to date outside of your usual picks and choose someone that may not be your type. (Maybe this means I will branch out and actually date a white skinned man in the near future!) You could find a guy who may not be your Brad Pitt but who treats you incredibly well. He may only be a 6 instead of a 10, but that isn't settling. That is having the good fortune to find someone who values you and makes you feel special. (I say six, but I am a firm believer in being attracted to your partner. There's a difference between finding your date attractive and having them be typical model hot)
What is considered settling, is being with someone who doesn't treat you well. Someone who hits you is a definite no-no, but there are other types of abuse. You should never settle for someone who puts you down or makes you feel bad about yourself. Being in a relationship is supposed to make you happy, not miserable. I always say I would rather be single and loving life than "in love" and unhappy. (Then again I always say I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and hungry so perhaps we don't all have the same priorities)
Remember that no one is perfect, so don't set your standards impossibly high. But, it is always good to have SOME standards and not settle completely. Otherwise, you could end up like those toothless girls on Maury that are the secret mistresses of the hideous trailer park kings, who don't even treat them nicely...
No comments:
Post a Comment