Saturday, May 18, 2013

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Aversion Therapy

       Today I was watching Friends and it was an episode where Phoebe was trying to help Rachel get over Ross. She tried slapping her in the face while Rachel looked at a picture of Ross. She also tried to remind Rachel how greasy Ross' hair is. But what struck me was when she told Rach to make a list of all the annoying things about Ross. (Poor, nerdy Ross haha) I do this. I am a rampant list maker. I also really like pro and con lists. (When I was breaking up with my ex, a con was that he is from South America, where it is too hot to have my favorite kind of dog. Yes. The cons can be that ridiculous.)
        Especially when you are single or going through a bad breakup, it can be so easy to place past relationships on a pedestal. But you have to remember that you broke up for a reason. Through the hazy glass of time it can be easy to forget how your ex talked down to you or was a lazy bastard who never took you out and only remember what a good kisser he was or what it felt like to have someone to go to the movies with.
         If you feel yourself starting to backslide, pull a Rachel. Remind yourself of all the things you hated about your ex, like that they only ordered chicken Caesar salad at restaurants when they went out to eat. Make a list. Maybe even hang it up. And if that doesn't work, you could always have your bestie smack you in the face...

No comments:

Post a Comment