I've always liked to think that I am not a jealous person. Partly, this is because I tend to think I am so much more intelligent than other people and really what else do you need? (Aside from a healthy dose of modesty, which clearly I lack) In relationships I don't get jealous because if someone is going to cheat on you, they aren't worth your time. I don't have any sort of keeping up with the Joneses envy, so I never begrudge anyone their newest toys or gadgets. Recently though I have a been visited by the green eyed monster.
I accept that this is not a very attractive quality and I have been trying to tamp down on my jealousy (pretty unsuccessfully I may add) but in all this attempted self improvement and psychoanalysis is has occurred to me, do I really want this thing or do I merely just want someone else to NOT have it? When I needed to find a home for my cats, a girl I was not very fond of wanted to take one. And I did NOT want her to have it. (She wanted to change the cat's name to something stupid and a bit racist) But was it really fair for me to send the cat to a worse fate in a shelter rather than let this girl have it? Would I rather throw the rest of my sandwich away than share it with someone I am not close buddies with? So why doom a person you may only be marginally romantically interested in to loneliness merely because you don't want them to be with someone else or to be with them yourself?
Sometimes we as people need to step back and evaluate our motives and feelings. Instead of reacting to the instant slap of jealousy, take a moment and figure out why you feel that way. Then, punch that green eyed monster right back in the face.
No comments:
Post a Comment