Sunday, June 17, 2012

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Being Hot Shit

Recently I have been infatuated with my friend's roommate, though he is not my type in the slightest. (This happens to me about every 12-18 months, so my friends and I come up with monikers for these: WAG aka Weirdly Attractive Guy, SAM aka Strangely Attractive Missionary and now the latest installation of SAR or Strangely Attractive Roommate.) Over the past six weeks or so, I have been torn about making a move. Being socially awkward and not my type, I don't want him to get all awkwarded out and possibly cause my friend an uncomfortable situation or heaven forbid, not be allowed to come over anymore. This past weekend, they were holding a party at their place and my best friend and I decided this would be the time to make my move. I am leaving in a week, so if it does get awkward, luckily I am making an escape. I got all dolled up the night in question, even doing my hair (If you know me, you know this doesn't happen often. Lots of effort went into this.) and slapping on the hated push up bra. I was ready to make my move. When I got there, SAR already had a girl there as his date! (We then referred to this as "unforseen circumstances" for the rest of the night) Never in all my consideration of the evening, had I really expected that strange development. Call me cocky, but I had envisioned a warm recepetion to my advances. Boy was I wrong.
    I am a big believer that everyone has a type, thought it may not be a physical one. I don't usually adhere to the notion, however, that people have leagues. I don't generally believe that I am too good for anyone, yet in getting caught up in SAR not being my type, I never imagined I would be the one getting rejected. (Yes, I have already admitted it was cocky. Thanks!)
    To me, I think each person brings something to the relationship. My old roommate was a very pretty girl and knew how to put herself together very well. But was also needy. She needed lots of positive and constant affirmation. One night, her and her boyfriend were playfully bickering and asked me if she was too good for him. And I told them what I really felt, that while physically she was better looking than him, he definitely put up with a lot of crap from her and was emotionally superior. And this is a key example of what everyone brings to the table.
    The phrase "you complete me" is totally cheesy (and iconic, thanks Jerry Maguire) but true. You need to find someone who has what you lack. A missing puzzle piece, if you will permit me to get gushy. If you are a little vapid and good looking, you and another vapid hottie are probably going to run out of interesting things to talk about in the first 45 seconds. You need someone who stimulates you mentally and offers you new challenges every day. So instead of walking around and instantly dismissing people based on first impressions and generally thinking you are hot shit, get to know them and see what they have to offer. Just because you think you are too good for someone, doesn't mean they will think you are good enough for them...

    (One last example to send you on your way. Look at Anna Nicole Smith and that old guy. She brought her tits to the table and he brought lots of cash. A general win all around. Find your old guy and enter the world of romance...)

1 comment:

  1. "If you are a little vapid and good looking, you and another vapid hottie are probably going to run out of interesting things to talk about in the first 45 seconds. You need someone who stimulates you mentally and offers you new challenges every day."

    Amen

    ReplyDelete