I have had a very quiet (read DULL AND UNINTERESTING) last couple of days. So I was just in the kitchen making breakfast, which is usually my blog brainstorming time and I couldn't come up with anything. I tried to wrack my brain for something, anything, I could write about. Just to fill today's post. It didn't necessarily have to be Pulitzer worthy, just take up some space...
Aha! Then it hit me like a bolt of lightening. This right here is a problem. Why do people feel such a constant need to be talking or texting or emailing (the list goes on and on, who can keep up with social media?) all the day long? It is because people seem to think that it makes a better connection to overshare.
Don't get me wrong, I text quite a bit. But I also have friends all around the world who it is just not easy to call up and chat on the phone all day with (and not just because I have a pay as you go minutes phone...). One of my closest friends lives across the country, in a different time zone. I work overnights, she works days. She's married and I am not. So it's pretty hard to nail down a time for a long phone chat. Texts work best because if one if us is sleeping or busy, we just respond when we can. We don't just fill our days with meaningless texts.
Your boyfriend or your best friend don't need to hear about your day in real time. Stop wasting everyone's time with pointless messages throughout the day. It doesn't build some intimate connection to know exactly what someone is doing as they're doing it. You are probably defending yourself at this point by saying "Well I love them and I just want them to be excited with me." They will. At the end of the day. Face to face. Because if you chat all day, what are you going to talk about that night? And in that same vein, strangers or very close to, don't need to be privy to every move you making that day. Stop putting your daily schedule as your status. If someone really wants to know what you are up to that day, they can ask. Not stalk you down via the internet.
Now as far as talking out loud, I know I am a nervous chatterer. I hate awkward silence. So I try to fill it. But I know this is something that drives most people crazy so I try to hold back as much as possible. So shut up. Get off the phone and the computer. Stop oversharing things nobody really cares about. And just enjoy the silence...
No comments:
Post a Comment