Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About the Ex Files

     There are so many things I could say about my exes. Good things, bad things, so many things. Yet it still freaked me out recently when I was on a first date and the guy asked about my ex. Straight up. Within the first twenty minutes. I really don't like thinking about what an idiot I was to date him and I don't want to discuss it. Certainly not with a virtual stranger.
         I get that past relationships are a big part of shaping who you are today. But that doesn't men your boyfriend needs to hear about them all in vivid detail. He really doesn't care. And no matter what, you come off looking bad. If you bad mouth your ex, he wonders why you stayed with such a dick. And why would you go from that asshole to him? Do you think they are similar? Or are YOU the crazy one in this situation just telling the story to suit yourself? Or if you have good things to say about him, why did you even break up? Do you still want to be together? Is it a real life version of that stupid Hinder song? Just save yourself the trouble and only bring up your ex if directly asked about it and don't lie, but don't get crazy with detail. He cheated on you? Okay to share. You don't necessarily need to get into the when, where, with who and what they were wearing at the time.
     And return the favor. Don't probe into your guy's girlfriends of the past. If he wants to tell you, he will. I can tell you about most of my exes previous relationships and I've never not once asked about it. Mostly, because I am secure in the fact that if they still wanted to be together they would be, but also just because I know how annoying it is to be probed about things that are better left in the past...
     But most importantly, don't trash your guys ex. Don't use it as a way to try to bond with his friends  or family and certainly don't do it to him. It just makes you come off as insecure and desperate. They broke up for a reason, just like he is with you for a reason. Trying to make yourself look better by hating on her is really just calling his taste into question. And after all that same taste led him to you.
     So yes, your exes suck. A song might come on or a movie might remind you. But don't trash them to your guy, that's what you have girlfriends for..

No comments:

Post a Comment