Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Cheating
When I was 16 my best friend and I were determined to join as many clubs and be in as many yearbook photos as possible. This led us to a week long field trip to Washington DC. Our first morning in the hotel we had decided to branch out and make as many new friends as we could. We walked into the dining room and there sitting at a nearly empty table, was the most attractive guy I had ever seen. Even though he was sitting down, you could tell he was tall and muscular. He had blonde hair and brown eyes and was laughing at something his companion had just said. I immediately knew which table I wanted to sit at and what friends I wanted to make. And he turned out to be just as nice as he was attractive. We spent a lot of time together that week and I was smitten. (I even got up and went jogging with him in the morning, which considering my complete lack of athleticism and grace, was a big concession) There was a MAJOR problem however. This paragon of manhood was clearly too good to be single. He had a long term girlfriend. All week, I mooned over him and the other girls in my group all just urged to me go for it and kiss him. They didn't understand why I wouldn't. If he was the kind of guy who would kiss me while having a girlfriend, then he wasn't the type of guy I wanted to kiss.
Everyone out there likes to think they are special. They have something a little extra. Females especially think this when it comes to relationships. And there is a whole special breed of clueless female called "the other woman". No matter how these girls (no matter their age, they are all naive enough to still be called girls) enter into relationships with unavailable men, they normally believe they are going to be special. They are going to be the exception.
For a majority of these women, they know their guy has a girlfriend or wife, but they claim to be so in love that they couldn't fight it. Usually this is compounded by the guys convincing the women that they don't love their girlfriends or wives. They are only in it for the kids. The wife doesn't understand him anymore. Or they don't sleep together anymore (this one is always less convincing when the wives turn up pregnant). He is just waiting for the right time to end it.
Did you know that the divorce rate for second marriages is actually higher than it is for first marriages? Why do we think this is? It's not because tigers suddenly changed their stripes.
Okay, Slutty McSlut, you and your skanky ways have successfully lured him away from his "boring and old" wife. Now you'd better fight like hell to hold on to him, because you are NOT special and if he will cheat with you, he will cheat on you.
The first time we do anything we know is wrong, we feel guilty. But the more we repeat it, the less guilty we feel. Eventually the guilt completely disappears. This principle applies to sneaking extra chips, telling white lies AND cheating on your significant other. Men tell themselves all kinds of things to absolve themselves of this guilt. And they tell their other women the stories too. The more the justifying men do, the more they believe their own bullshit.
And once they completely absolve themselves of the guilt in cheating, they'll cheat on you too.
(In the end, the attractive guy and I stayed friends and stayed in touch. One day, his girlfriend ended up hacking into his email and sending me an EXTREMELY pissed off email. It felt incredibly good to be able to tell her we were simply friends and nothing more. And not to be lying. It felt even better when he dumped her)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment