Friday, May 25, 2012

Shit I Wish Girls Knew About Muffin Tops

    When I was 12, my doctor told me I had birthing hips. She was British and really lacking in a bedside manner. It probably didn't occur to her that this isn't what a little girl wants to hear. But due to my Italian heritage, they have only gotten bigger over the years. This makes shopping very difficult. It took a while but  I have finally accepted that I am going to be a larger size than I would like to be. No matter how thin I get, there is just no squeezing. These hips do not lie.
    Which is why nothing drives me crazier than a muffin top. In case you live under a rock, or English is not your native tongue, I am not talking about the upper bit of a baked good. The muffin top to which I refer is the excess amount of flesh that hangs over your jeans' waistband. Muffin top is not some incurable or unpreventable condition. And it is not something that is hidden from view when you are checking your reflection in the mirror. So why do people insist on pressing their flab into a too small size? Don't get me wrong, this isn't something from which only overweight or tubby people suffer. Thin girls can rock the top too. It comes from convincing yourself you are a smaller size than you really are. Ladies, stop lying to yourself. You can fib to people about what size clothes you are. Despite it being a dubious claim, I could tell everyone I was a size six if I really wanted to. (I check in at a proud size 10/12, thank you birthing hips). No one can read the label inside of your jeans. But everyone can see your muffin top.
    Fashion today is really not flattering to my body type, no matter how hard I wish. Since most people aren't shaped like mannequins, ladies need to stop assuming just because it looks good on the mannequin it will look just as good on them. It is so important to dress for your shape. When those baby doll empire waist shirts were all the rage, they made me look nine months pregnant. Not a mere four or five, but the full nine. It was not a good look. I suffered through being unfashionable in fitted Ts, but was comforted by the fact that I didn't appear with child.
    No matter what shape or size, there is a style that looks best on you. Learn what that is and fully embrace it. Men especially, tend to have no clue what the current fashions are, but they can tell you if you look good. Trying to force yourself in something that is haute couture but a bad fit is much worse than simple and elegant pieces that work for you. Be honest with yourself when you look in the mirror and go out and grab some bigger pants. If you want a muffin top, head to Dunkin' Donuts.

    I am sure I ruffled a few feathers with this post. I am not opposed to that, but I will say that I am not touting that everyone needs to be lean and mean. If you are healthy and happy, more power to your thunder thighs. But true acceptance of your size includes dressing the part.

2 comments:

  1. "In case you live under a rock, or English is not your native tongue, I am not talking about the upper bit of a baked good." -fav part

    ReplyDelete